How Do I Change My OWCP Treating Doctor?

Changing your treating doctor under the Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs (OWCP) may vary depending on the specific circumstances and regulations in your case. Here are general steps you can take:

Review OWCP Guidelines:

Familiarize yourself with the OWCP guidelines and regulations regarding the change of treating physicians. The rules may vary depending on the type of workers’ compensation claim you have.

Consult with Claims Examiner:

Contact your OWCP claims examiner to discuss your request to change treating doctors. The claims examiner is responsible for managing your case, and they can provide guidance on the process.


Provide Reason for Change:

Clearly state your reasons for wanting to change your treating doctor. Valid reasons may include a lack of improvement in your condition, dissatisfaction with the current treatment, or the need for a specialist.

Submit a Request in Writing:

In many DOL cases, you may be required to submit a written request to the OWCP explaining your desire to change your treating doctor. Be sure to include all relevant details and reasons for the change.

Wait for Approval:

After submitting your request, you may need to wait for approval from the OWCP doctor. The claims examiner will review your request and determine whether the change is justified.


Select a New Doctor:

If your request is approved, work with the OWCP to choose a new treating doctor. Ensure that the new doctor is authorized by the OWCP and is willing to accept your case.

Inform Current Doctor:

If your request is approved, inform your current treating doctor about the change and ensure a smooth transition of your medical records to the new doctor.

Remember that the specific steps and requirements can vary, so it’s essential to communicate with your OWCP claims examiner throughout the process. They can provide the most accurate and up-to-date information based on your individual case.